Saturday 19 September 2015

Never In The Field Of Human Conflict Was So Much Owed To So Many To So Few

That's still my favorite Winston Churchill quote, amongst  his many famous quotes it's always that which strikes a chord with me.

Tuesday 15th September was Battle Of Britain Day and to mark 75 years since all that stood between us and the German invasion was 'the few' who defended our skies. There's nothing more I can add to the history that you obviously are all aware of.

I can only tell you that every time I see one of the warbirds or even watch a programme on TV about the fighters or bombers I get so crazily emotional and tears always come to my eyes. I get even more emotional when I hear veterans talk about their experiences, they're always so humble and matter of fact when they describe their experiences. I think a lot of so-called 'stars' that kids worship nowadays should talk to them as some kind of reality check, the veterans are the real heros who should be worshipped and thanked. Not some D-list Big Brother nonce.

Eastbourne was lucky enough to be included in the celebrations for Battle Of Britain Day as part of the largest flight of Spitfires & Hurricanes since the end of the war. The groups all took off from Goodwood in West Sussex and flew-past and landed at various airfields used in the battle, whilst flying over & past as much of the South East as possible.

We took up position on Beachy Head and I was lucky enough to get some good snaps -











It was a stunning sight and the sound of the Merlin engines roaring past made my insides tremble as they always do. All that's really left to say is thank you to those who organised the tribute and of course the biggest thanks, as always, is to the veterans who protected us from the invasion and the many who lost their lives. 

Love & Respect
Jen
XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...