Sunday 11 August 2013

I Feel The Need, The Need For Speed

Warning! This blog contains high-levels of plane geekery. Viewer discretion is advised. 


It's at this time of year that I get super-excited as it's Eastbourne's annual 4 day airshow Airbourne.

 yay!

I was raised on the classic 1986 movie Top Gun (still my favourite film)

 Yes I can quote the entire film.


I was taken to my first 'proper' airshow at 10 when we went to the (now sadly defunct) Biggin Hill Air Fair. I fell in love instantly and the rest as they say is history. 

I love anything to do with planes, modern fighter jets, warbirds, I've even been known to hang out of the train door at Gatwick Airport taking photos of planes & frequently squeaked with excitement in London back in May everytime I saw the Airbus A380 (sorry Helen). 

Having a 4 day (or 5 day if you count the day before when aircraft will often do some practice passes along the seafront) airshow in my hometown is obviously super-exciting for me. Airbourne is the highlight of my year every year and looking foward to it has gotten me through some really tough times over the years.

During the last few years I've been able to combine my plane geekery with my interest in photography. Below are some photos I've taken at Airbourne over the years. 

Airbourne 2008 (taken with 6MP camera)

 I always like to try and get Eastbourne's landmarks in my photos like this one of the Eurofighter Typhoon and the pier. 

 The Red Arrows are always incredibly popular

 The Dutch Airforce put on a Search & Rescue display

Airbourne 2009 (Taken with 8MP Camera)



Slightly less than flattering photo of me in action ...........


The Reds always make me proud to be British













The sun glinting off the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) Avro Lancaster












The Lancaster with her BBMF siblings the Hurricane & Spitfire. I always get choked up during their display thinking of 'The Few'












Airbourne 2010 (Taken with 10MP Camera)



With a better camera I was finally able to get some decent photos of the Red Arrows. 

Airbourne 2011 (Taken with 14MP Camera)

By Airbourne 2011 I'd finally gotten a decent camera with good zoom my Fuji Mini SLR (aka my baby) and the results were great!


The first day of the show was a slight disaster with low cloud and only these Royal Navy Black Cat Lynxes able to fly. 











The weather cleared the next day for loads of great planes such as the Lancaster. 












I always really enjoy The Blades!













The F-86 Sabre is a gorgeous example of early USA jet manufacturing.












Is this not the best paint job you've ever seen? This is Miss Demeanour. 












My all time favorite plane the Tornado GR4













I'm still really chuffed with this photo of an  F-16 2 years later ......













Airbourne 2012 (Taken with 14MP Camera)

 Is there a more beautiful sight than a Spitfire performing a victory roll?
 
 Much to my delight the Tornado was back again!
 The Red Bull Matadors' paintwork looked great in the sunshine
Most importantly for Airbourne 2012 was the first ever appearance of Vulcan XH558, I have to admit to having a tear in my eye as she fly along my home seafront after all the work the supporters & donators (myself included) have done to keep her flying. She was absolutely stunning. 




Oh and in case you were wondering of COURSE I have a list of my favorite ever planes ........

1. Panavia Tornado (F3 & GR4)
2. Avro Vulcan
3. Supermarine Spitfire
4. Hawker Siddley Harrier
5. Avro Lancaster
6. Grumman F-14 Tomcat
7. SR71 Blackbird
8. P51 Mustang
9. Airbus A380
10. De Havilland Sea Vixen

Love Jen
XxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...